In this episode of GFA-Attract, GetFundedAfrica’s Co-Founder, Debo Omololu discusses with Simon Tkachenko, a New-York based Venture Capital Principal at Modus Capital. Modus Capital is a $75 million fund focused on North Africa and the Middle East. Simon is a football fan (soccer to Americans) and supports Tottenham Hotspurs from the English Premier league.
In this episode, you will learn:
- Simon’s views on the key factors affecting venture capital investments in Africa.
- Importance of Government policies on ease of doing business.
- What needs to be done to get more venture capital investment in Africa
- Why Simon thinks small and medium sized businesses need some handholding in order to get investor ready
- How there is a lot of money available for investment, but not enough African startups to channel the funds.
- Simon’s thoughts on the importance of organizations like GetFundedAfrica to provide courses to help develop investor-readiness for entrepreneurs (see GetFundedAfrica’s online courses).
- Why venture capital firms check the World Bank’s Ease of Doing Business Index in deciding the countries to invest in.
- The average size of investments made by Modus Capital
- Growing number of mental health startups
- How blockchain is becoming more important in COVID times.
If you are a venture capital investor and you would like to be featured on our video podcast, send us an email email@example.com