Good news for Egypt’s edtech OTO Courses which has raised a six-figure (USD) investment in the form of a bridge round from AUC Angels & Changelabs. The exact size of this deal was however not disclosed.
- With the new investment, OTO plans to further develop its platform and win a bigger market share as the traditional educational centers in Egypt that teach the English language remain closed due to the pandemic.
- The startup had previously raised a seed round from HIMangel and EdVentures in late 2018.
Download GetFundedAfrica’s e-Guide to fundraising for start-up’s Here
A Look At What OTO Courses Does
- Founded in 2015 by Ahmed El Fadaly, Ahmed Badr & Tarek Nour, OTO Courses, previously known as OTO Englishoffers general and specialized English language courses to individuals and businesses. OTO in it its name stands for one-to-one (tutoring) and that also happens to one of its biggest USP. All the courses on its platform come with dedicated hours of one-to-one live tuition with an instructor.
- The startup in a statement said that all the English instructors on its platform are selected carefully and then have to go through training before they start teaching on the platform, “OTO Courses aims to bridge the gap between traditional education and what the market really needs, by providing available and affordable quality education to anyone, anywhere, and anytime.”
- It has recently also launched DardshEnglish, a dedicated platform for booking one-to-one practice (voice) sessions with English speakers. The 30-minute sessions are available in the form of bundles with the basic bundle (that comes with five sessions) priced at EGP 99 ($6). The speakers available on the platform can be filtered by their interests and fields to make it easy for users to choose the one that’s relevant to their learning needs.
- He also explained that the students using DardshEnglish are promised to learn at least 3 new words and know how to place them in 3 sentences during a 30-minute session with an expert English speaker on their chosen topic, “Students join DardshEnglish in order to increase their confidence and English language fluency. Students of all levels are encouraged to join. They don’t have to stick to one speaker and have the freedom of choosing from the many speakers available. They can book slots as close as 4 hours from now.”
- OTO Courses claims to have delivered more than 350,000 online hours so far to over 15,000 learners and has over 150 instructors on its platform. The Egyptian startup has also been working with many business clients to help their employees improve their English language skills.
Download a copy of GFA’s Guide To Fundraising For African Start-Ups
“GetFundedAfrica is a technology-based, business information platform operated by Afriscaper Research & Consulting Limited with a mission to reduce barriers to funding for African businesses. GFA matches investor ready, African & African-Diaspora owned companies with global investors, leveraging market research, industry data and news aggregation“
GFA’s must read weekend feature entitled Making Finance Work For Agriculture in Africa [Part 2] has been released. Read more
Are you an entrepreneur? Share your story with us and get featured on our platform send us an email email@example.com