- UK govt in Africa renewable energy push UK’s government has prioritised the renewable energy sector as key to its Africa push, as it works to strengthen ties with the continent following its exit from the European Union.
2. Global VC firm Antler commits up to $500k in funding to startups battling COVID-19 In response to the COVID-19 outbreak, the company is inviting startups to propose solutions in mitigation, medical equipment, remote health and digital tools, and plans to invest in up to five teams and deploy up to US$500,000.
Fintech in Africa to Grow from $200M Currently to $3 Billion by 2020 1. Millions more people in Africa now have access to financial systems thanks to cashless systems using digital technology, and more and more people are seeing the benefits of mobile banking, according to Ecobank, the leading independent pan-African banking group.
- Jumia’s Woes Deepens as Rocket Internet Divests Stake Jumia’s key investor, Rocket Internet, has sold its stake in the giant e-commerce firm leading to speculations that all may not be well with Jumia.
See links for feature weekend articles here:
1) Funding & Agritech in Africa…with a snapshot of 2019 https://getfundedafrica.com/2020/04/03/gfa-weekend-feature-funding-agritech-in-africa-with-a-snapshot-of-2019/
2) COVID-19…. Funding for African Businesses & The Opportunities https://getfundedafrica.com/2020/03/27/gfa-weekend-feature-covid-19-funding-for-african-businesses-the-opportunities-space/